A short-range forecast is produced every 10 minutes with the help of the INCA-CH nowcasting model, which combines all available information in real time. The forecast covers Switzerland and adjacent regions with a grid size of 1 km. The forecasting period ranges from 0 to 6 hours, with data calculated at a temporal resolution of 10 or 60 minutes, depending on the parameter in question. The short-range forecast encompasses a continuous combination of observed and extrapolated data as well as predicted data from the numerical forecast model COSMO-1E. Long-range forecasts are available for some parameters. These combine the INCA-CH data with the COSMO-1E forecasts.
Nowcasting is frequently updated. This allows the latest available observations (monitoring stations, radar and satellites) to be taken into account, which improves the forecast quality.
Parameters and data format
The following parameters are currently available:
- 2 m temperature and ground temperature (°C)
- Relative humidity (%) and dew point (°C)
- Mean wind speed and gusts (m/s)
- Precipitation (mm/h), precipitation type (#) and snow proportion of precipitation (mm/h)
- New snow depth (cm)
- Total cloud cover (%), three cloud-cover levels (low, medium, high, in %), relative sunshine duration (%)
- Convective available potential energy (CAPE, analysis only, in J/kg)
- Convective inhibition (CIN, analysis only, in J/kg)
The INCA-CH data are available as grid data (710 x 640 grid points) in netCDF format.