The Swiss GCOS Office - seated at the Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology MeteoSwiss - coordinates climate observation in Switzerland. The Swiss GCOS Office was formally established at MeteoSwiss in 2006, following the Federal Council’s dispatch concerning the ratification of the Kyoto Protocol.
Swiss GCOS Office
How to contact us
As the national GCOS coordinator, the Swiss GCOS Office assumes the following responsibilities:
On a national level, the Swiss GCOS Office:
- Identifies time series at a risk of being interrupted and take the necessary steps to ensure their long-term continuation.
- Takes the necessary steps to ensure the continued operation of international data and calibrations centres in Switzerland whose future is at risk.
- Coordinates the implementation of the GCOS Switzerland Strategy under the guidance of the GCOS Switzerland Steering Committee.
(see also: GCOS Switzerland Strategy 2017-2026)
Coordinates between the National Partner Institutions, for example, by organising the annual national GCOS Roundtable.
(see also: National GCOS Roundtable)
Compiles, updates and maintains an inventory of the National Climate Observing System that identifies and summarises the valuable series of climatic measurements, and the international data and calibration centres operated by Swiss institutions.
(see also: National Climate Observing System)
On an international level, the Swiss GCOS Office:
- Acts as the single point of contact for the international GCOS Secretariat.
Facilitates the exchange with national GCOS coordinators of other countries and with other international institutions.
Reports to the UNFCCC through the compilation of reports on national climate observation.
- Participates in the annual UNFCCC Conference of the Parties (COP) as member of the national delegation.